Hospital Buddy Volunteer
What You'll Do:
- Providing information, support and reassurance to an older person prior to their admission to hospital, and on their discharge (for up to 18 weeks);
- Keeping in touch on a regular basis to promote wellbeing and reduce feelings of loneliness; This will be in the form of face to face meetings in the older persons home or a mix of telephone calls and face to face.
- Referring to Link Age Southwark services from which the older person might benefit, e.g. activity groups, befriending and events;
- Signposting to other local support networks from which the older person might benefit, e.g. Time and Talents, Blackfriars Settlement, etc.
- Keeping in touch with the team at Link Age Southwark regarding the wellbeing of the person you are supporting.
Why You'll Love It:
What’s in it for you?
- you will be gaining a new experience in your local community, getting to know an older person
- being part of a great team of Link Age Southwark volunteers and staff
- you will be playing a vital part in easing loneliness and isolation of an older person and help them get the best from life
- you will be entitled to claim reasonable expenses
- we can provide references after you have completed 3 months in a volunteering role with Link Age Southwark
- Enrich your CV
What You'll Learn:
As well as attending our induction you will have opportunities to attend other training including Emergency First Aid, Mental Health Awareness and Assisting People with Mobility Needs
What We're Looking For:
What you need to be a successful Hospital Buddy
- a cheerful and friendly personality
- effective communication/listening skills
- commitment to keeping in touch with an older person for 1-2 hours per week, for up to 6 months
- good timekeeping and reliability
- be empathetic towards the needs of older people
- patient, understanding and non-judgemental attitude
- to attend all relevant training so that you are ready and confident in your role
- complete a fully enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service application (we will pay for this)
- provide two referees whom you have known for at least 2 years for a character reference, ideally one of which should be from a previous employer, education or volunteer organisation
- understanding and commitment to working within the policies of Link Age Southwark, in particular health and safety, confidentiality, safeguarding and equality and diversity.