The project aims to deliver sessions to people living with dementia and their carers, led by trained volunteers and activity providers. This role will be based at the Museum of Brands, London, W11 1QT and offsite at care homes where reminiscing sessions will take place.
As a Volunteer Session Leader, you will lead reminiscing sessions at dementia day cares that offer meaningful social engagement for people living with dementia. During the sessions, you will meet people from a variety of backgrounds from all over the world, offering a truly enriching experience. Our multi-sensory object handling and creative activities aim to connect participants with their memories, providing a safe space where they can share stories and learn something new.
As session leader, you will choose a theme and activity for the session, lead reminiscing activities supported by other volunteers and provide feedback after the sessions.
You will also assist in other areas of the Wellbeing Department, including marketing, research, object making, supporting community events, and front of house duties when needed. Our volunteers help us to run the museum on a day-to-day basis, providing a warm welcome to our visitors and playing an essential part in running our activities. Volunteers will be ambassadors for this exciting, lively and engaging museum.
Working with people living with dementia by offering reminiscing sessions creates a sense of purpose and routine for them. Reminiscing together, hearing their stories and asking about brands we have not known but they have, acknowledges and use the skills and life experiences of the person with dementia. It increases self-esteem and helps the person feel valued.
- Working with people living with dementia in an art/museum setting is rewarding and offers many interpersonal and transferrable skills. Leading and supporting reminiscing sessions improves your listening, public speaking, empathy, leadership and caring skills; it develops your teamwork and managing skills as well as helping to improve people’s quality of life.
- Other Living Brands tasks will enhance your administration, marketing, research, and presentation skills. As a Wellbeing Volunteer, you will be part of a passionate group of individuals, all interested in improving people’s health and wellbeing through arts and culture.
- Friendly and personable with comfortable presenting in English
- Willing to learn how to engage with people living with dementia in a creative way
- Experience working in a people-facing role
- Team players who enjoy working with a diverse range of people
- Ability to work independently and under own initiative
- We are also looking for supporting volunteers for sessions