The role of the Front of House volunteer is vital to the life of London Canal Museum – in small teams, volunteers in this role ensure the building is open and ready to welcome visitors each day, greet visitors and educate them about the museum’s exhibits and history, keep visitors safe and answer enquiries to keep the museum running smoothly across the day.
- Open and close the museum and ensure it is presentable and ready to receive visitors
- Greet visitors, welcome them into the museum and engage with them about the exhibits and history of the building
- Sell admissions, gifts and books, and ensure the till procedures are followed correctly
- Answer telephone and in-person enquiries
- Provide refreshments and assistance during group visits
- Maintain the various museum areas and ensure they are presentable
- Follow museum policies and procedures to ensure the building, volunteers, staff and visitors are safe and well at all times
- Training and support
If you are a history buff, a lover of London or are passionate about museums then we want to hear from you!
London Canal Museum is dedicated to educating and inspiring our visitors with the history of London’s canals – how they’ve shaped London’s development, the ordinary people that lived and worked on them, as well as the entrepreneurs who profited from them. We want to pass on the heritage of the canals so that future generations can learn about London’s industrial and social past.
- Learn about the history of London’s canals, the people who lived and worked on them, and their place in the industrial revolution, as well as the ice trade and history of the building
- Meeting new people and having opportunities to socialise with fellow volunteers at events – you will be a part of a community of over 70 volunteers of all ages and backgrounds
- Build your experience of working in museums, heritage and visitor engagement
- Develop your skills in customer service, team work, communication and other key workplace skills
- Opportunities for further involvement with the museum – including archiving and collections care, events, administration, education and guiding walks and boat trips.
- Free entry to the museum and museum events, 10% off in our shop, discounted venue hire and 50% off museum entry for up to 4 friends and family at a time.
- We also have volunteer events, parties and trips that you can enjoy!
- References can be given for all volunteers who volunteer regularly for 6 months or more
- Two days a month, from 9.45am until 4.45pm
- The Museum is currently open Wednesdays - Sundays, with Tuesday openings planned for the future
Joining one of our friendly site teams, you will be sorting and packing items for families supported by the Little Village and your contribution will make an immediate difference to the lives of families experiencing hardship in London.
Leading sessions for our clients supporting discussion & reflection on well-being. Need a friendly personality, good interpersonal skills, & enthusiasm & motivation. We seek volunteers who seek to develop wellbeing/coaching/counselling skills.