The Royal Marsden and the ICR are ranked in the top five cancer centres in the world for the impact of their research, treating over 59,000 NHS and private patients every year.
It is a centre of excellence with an international reputation for groundbreaking research and pioneering the very latest in cancer treatments and technologies, as well as specialising in cancer diagnosis and education.
The Royal Marsden operates from two centres, in Chelsea and Sutton, and we also have a Medical Daycare Unit at Kingston Hospital. We are the founder and host of RM Partners, the Cancer Alliance for west London, which includes St George’s Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, Imperial Healthcare NHS Trust, and other trust and clinical commissioning group (CCG) partners across north west and south west London
HRH The Duke of Cambridge became President of The Royal Marsden in 2007, following a long royal connection with the hospital.
At The Royal Marsden, we deal with cancer every day so we understand how valuable life is. And when people entrust their lives to us, they have the right to demand the very best.That's why the pursuit of excellence lies at the heart of everything we do. No matter what we achieve, we're always striving to do more. No matter how much we exceed expectations, we believe we can exceed them still further.We will never stop looking for ways to improve the lives of people affected by cancer. This attitude defines us all, and is an inseparable part of the way we work. It's The Royal Marsden way.Life demands excellence.
The Royal Marsden is proud of its record of achievement:
- In 1991 we became the first NHS hospital to be awarded the Queen's Award for Technology for our work on drug development.
- We achieved the international quality standard ISO 91 for radiotherapy in 1996 and for chemotherapy in 23.
- We have consistently met the Customer Service Excellence standard (formerly Charter Mark) for our services.
- In April 24, we became one of the country's first NHS Foundation Trusts. This new status has provided the financial freedom and greater flexibility to focus on allowing more patients to access our expertise.
- In 26 and again in 211, The Royal Marsden and The Institute of Cancer Research were designated the UK's only Biomedical Research Centre dedicated solely to cancer by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR). £62 million is provided over five years to support pioneering research work, to be shared across eight different cancer.
- The Royal Marsden has a track record of the highest standards of performance in the quality and efficiency of services delivered to patients. The 214 Annual Inpatients Survey placed The Royal Marsden among the best performing trusts in the country.
- Today, The Royal Marsden, in association with The Institute of Cancer Research, has an unrivalled worldwide reputation for its patient care, cancer research and education.