- Supporting the shop manager with the day-to-day running of the shop according to business demands (sometimes in the absence of the manager).
- Selecting, preparing and pricing donated clothes, books, homewares etc., in line with shop guidelines.
- Taking specific responsibility for tasks such as opening and closing the shop and supervising other volunteers.
- Providing excellent customer service whilst operating the till.
- Completing end-of-day banking.
- Creating attractive displays.
- Our shops in London make an average of £50 per hour. A volunteering shift of 4 hours means that either 30 people can access safe drinking water, 25 displaced people can get food, or one woman can complete business skills training. Our shops could not raise crucial funds for Oxfam's emergency and development work worldwide without our dedicated volunteers, who provide their time and bring many skills.
- Volunteering in your local Oxfam shop helps build community spirit and engage other local people to work together towards the common goal of alleviating poverty.
- Supporting our local charity shop means supporting the management of local waste, reducing the impact of fast fashion, and fighting climate change.
- We offer personal development, valuable insight into charity retail and a friendly environment to meet new people, and potential career progression into our shop's network.
- We offer complete induction for the role, full Oxfam welcoming values and culture training, Health & Safety, Worker Risk Assessment, Gift aid, and a Code of Conduct.
- Travel and lunch expenses are reimbursed in line with Oxfam Policy.
- A Wellness action plan linked to Retail Trust (Mental health support and Financial advice).
- A vlunteering certificate and references at the end of the experience.
- You will gain: Leadership, proactivity.
- You will improve your communication skillset.
- You will gain experience managing retail business.
- You will embrace diversity and inclusion.
We are searching for enthusiastic people interested in second-hand trading, business management, and ethical shopping.
We are looking for fun, enthusiastic, creative, artistic, passionate, community focused to help us put on our Christmas Fayre.
Our retail shop plays a vital role in raising funds and awareness for our cause. As a shop volunteer you are among the most visible faces of the charity and contribute hugely to how the public perceive us and the work we do.