Join the ReachOut team and change a young person’s life.
At ReachOut we work with young people from disadvantaged backgrounds, providing them with a mentor who can act as a positive role-model in their lives. Could this be you?
The ReachOut Club (ROC) is a one-to-one mentoring programme for young people in primary school (Years 5 and 6) referred directly by their school, delivered in individual projects of up to 10 young people.
Young people and volunteers attend up to 20 weekly sessions, running from October to April, comprising of one hour of one-to-one academic and personal mentoring and 30-60 minutes of fun activities, sometimes in groups. All activities are based on our curriculum focusing on developing our competencies and character values.
To facilitate conversation and reflection around character young people and mentors work through our specially designed ReachOut Challenge booklet with their mentors each week. This tool helps them to identify their strengths and areas for development, as well as choose “micro-challenges” to put the character values into practice.
All sessions are run by a trained ReachOut Project Leader. Volunteer mentors are trained in house, undergo DBS checks and are supervised by the ReachOut Project Leader at the project. Mentors work with the same mentee each week for the duration of the project.
Volunteers are needed to support and mentor the children. If you choose to get involved you will be trained as a mentor and volunteer in a group of 10 children and 10 mentors, supervised by a Project Leader. Your main tasks will be to:
- support your mentee in completing individual Numeracy and Literacy exercises during one-to-one mentoring
- help your mentee to overcome obstacles in their learning, and tackle social problems such as confidence and bullying
- identify long term goals with your mentee and work towards them
- take part in sports and set an example of good sportsmanship to all mentees
- join in fun group activities such as indoor games, arts and crafts, cooking etc.
- provide feedback on the progress of your mentee and work together with the Project Leader to ensure the best support for your mentee
- promote and practise the ReachOut character values
This opportunity will assist you in gaining the following skills:
- Problem solving/Creativity
Training will be provided by the organisation for this position:
ReachOut will train volunteers in:
- Building relationships with young people.
- Behaviour management.
- The best practices of mentoring.
- Theories underpinning ReachOut's approach to working with young people.
- Safeguarding young people.
The organisation has indicated the following requirements from volunteers who want to take this opportunity.
Essential: Weekly commitment for 6 months, competent in maths and English, complete a DBS app, provide references. Be enthusiastic and energetic!
Desirable: Experience working with young people.